[Dhsvm-users] How to remove the DEM sink

Ed Salminen salminen at watershednet.com
Wed Jun 7 06:20:19 PDT 2023

The problem may be that you filled sinks in your DEM in a GIS that used
an eight direction (D8) flow direction approach, but DHSVM uses a four
direction (D4) approach as described in the snippet you included below.

Did you run the FILL_SINKS_DHSVM.c program to prepare your DEM prior to
running DHSVM? This will fill the sinks in the DEM using a D4 approach.
The source code (if you don't already have it) can be found here:
https://github.com/pnnl/DHSVM-PNNL/blob/master/DHSVM/program/FILL_SINKS_DHSVM.c

Alternatively there now appears to be a way to configure DHSVM to use a
D8 approach. If you go to this page (https://github.com/pnnl/DHSVM-PNNL)
and scroll to the bottom under "Experimental Surface/Subsurface Mode" it
describes how you can enable the D8 approach when building the model
with CMake.

I hope that helps.