[statnet_help] statnet package: 'stergm'-code, but R calculates a TERGM

Marcel Dick marcel.dick at smail.uni-koeln.de
Wed Nov 15 05:40:37 PST 2023

Dear statnet team, dear colleagues,

My name is Marcel Dick and I am doing an external doctorate in social
sciences at the University of Cologne. Among other things, I am
working with R and your statnet package.

I would like to investigate networks in school classes at two
different points in time t1 and t2 using Separable Temporal
Exponential Random Graphs (STERGMs). I used example 3 from the paper
by Mr. Krivitksy and Mr. Goodreau of the statnet development team
"STERGM - Separable Temporal ERGMs for modeling discrete relational
dynamics with statnet" from 2016 (pp. 19-23). I have taken and adapted
the code for the STERGM as shown in the example. The STERGM runs
through, but R calculates a TERGM and also gives me such an output, so
that I do not get separate information for a formation model and a
dissolution model under 'summary()'. I have attached a corresponding
screenshot.

I have already talked to my supervisors but they are just as perplexed
as I am as to why R calculates a TERGM although the command contains a
STERGM and this code runs through without an error message. Is this
perhaps a bug or is the problem already known? If so, how can I solve
the problem so that R really calculates a STERGM?

In the TERGM workshop on the statnet package I can only find a short
appendix on STERGMS.

Many thanks for your help!

Best regards
Marcel Dick

Marcel Dick, M.Ed., M.A.
ext. Promovend

Universität zu Köln
Humanwissenschaftliche Fakultät
Department Erziehungs- und Sozialwissenschaften
Lehrbereich Sozialwissenschaften mit den Schwerpunkten
Politikwissenschaft, Soziologie und Ökonomische Bildung
Lehrstuhl für Erziehungs- und Kultursoziologie / Soziologie

E-Mail: marcel.dick at smail.uni-koeln.de