[Histmaj] NW credits - NMETH 210: Science, Evidence, & Health in Fall 2022

HISTORY UNDERGRADUATE ADVISORS histadv at uw.edu
Wed May 4 13:13:47 PDT 2022

NMETH 210: Science, Evidence, and Health will be offered for the first time in Fall quarter and is open to all undergrads. This course has been taught three times in the past and had previously been offered in Winter quarter (and prefixed previously as NURS 210). It has been well-received by students since being offered for the first time in 2020. Of note, NMETH 210 covers undergraduate requirements of NW, I&S, and DIV.

Student feedback from Winter 2022 includes:

* “I feel like the professors truly cared about my learning and me, which can be so crucial during a pandemic.”
* “I think that because this class was focused on topics that students our age are exposed to more often now, it is very important as well as interesting.”
* “The instructors went out of their way to make sure each student was doing well.”
* “This class was stimulating and made me think about topics that I wouldn't have thought about otherwise. This class was outside my major, and was a nice way to diversify my learning and perception.”

The course explores health topics of interest to undergrads: cannabis, vaping, diet, exercise, health care, access, disparities and equity… The goal is to help students develop skills and knowledge they need to become critical consumers of health information in their daily lives. The course is interactive and practical. We'll experience and analyze smartphone apps for health and behavior change, and we will review sources of health information - like health blogs, health advice written by influences via social media - all with a goal of critically appraising the sources of information students use to make their own health decisions.

The course is called Science, Evidence, and Health: Mastering Health Information and Personal Health Technologies (NMETH 210). It's a 4-credit course (with an optional 1 credit “project” lab for a total of 5 possible credits) that fulfills the NW, I&S, and DIV requirements. The course is intended for undergrads generally, and is not tailored for pre-nursing or nursing majors. Details of the class are:

Mon/Wed 10:30-12:30 in DEN 303

Optional 1-credit Seminar:
Every Weds 2:00-2:50 in MGH 295

SLN: 5 credit: 19432
SLN: 4 credit: 19433

Thanks!
Kerryn

Kerryn W. Reding, PhD, MPH, RN
Associate Professor, Biobehavioral Nursing and Health Informatics
School of Nursing, University of Washington
Associate Member, Cancer Prevention
Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
Pronouns: she/her