[Histmaj] Winter 2023 courses and Descriptions of Junior and Senior Seminars

HISTORY UNDERGRADUATE ADVISORS histadv at uw.edu
Fri Oct 21 13:51:09 PDT 2022

Dear Historians,
UW's Winter 2023 Time Schedule<https://www.washington.edu/students/timeschd/WIN2023/> is out and registration starts Friday, November 4th<http://www.washington.edu/students/reg/2223cal.html#Q5>! To help prepare for registration, please find a .doc and .pdf file of the Department of History's undergraduate History courses for Winter 2023 (titled "Winter 2023 COURSES") attached to this email.
We are also including descriptions of the Junior (HSTRY 388) and Senior (HSTRY 494 or 498) Seminars for Winter 2023. Please note that we recommend that students complete one or two upper division (300 or 400 level) History courses before taking the Junior Seminar. Students must successfully complete the Junior Seminar before they can take the Senior Seminar, so we encourage you to plan ahead (but please note that you can request an add code and register for a Senior Seminar if you are currently taking the Junior Seminar this quarter). You will need to email histadv at uw.edu<mailto:histadv at uw.edu> for an add code (since these are small courses, we recommend emailing us sooner rather than later for an add code as seats may fill up).
Lastly, students planning to graduate at the end of Winter 2023, Spring 2023, or Summer 2023 may schedule a Graduation Application meeting! You may do so here: https://history.washington.edu/advising.
Happy schedule planning!

Here are descriptions from the faculty of each Junior and Senior Seminar offered in Winter 2023 to help you decide amongst them.
HSTRY 388 A (W 1230-220), taught by Prof. Susan Glenn-"War Stories: Recording, Remembering, and Reimagining WWII." (counts for Writing)

In the United States the lore and legacy that constitute the national memory of World War II is so familiar to many people that it remains an important touchstone into our own time. In this course we will explore the making of the legacy of World War II from locations often neglected in our collective memory of that time, including the initial indifference of many Americans to the rise of European fascism and the persecution of Jews and the impact of ethnic and racial animosities on the battlefields and on the American homefront. We will read or view a wide range of primary works as well as turning our attention to the contemporary recycling of the meaning of that period in our nation's past. Readings include accounts by journalists, novelists, filmmakers, and works by historians. Through them we hope to gain a better understanding of the myriad ways in which the war and its effects have been recorded, remembered, and re-imagined.

Students will learn how to work with primary sources, develop competence in the close reading of texts, learn to analyze questions from multiple perspectives, and become attuned to "silences" in the sources by paying attention to what is and is not directly stated in a text. In written work and oral contributions, students will develop their skills in building and substantiating their own arguments.

HSTRY 388 B (TTh 130-320), taught by Prof. Bianca Dang-"Gender and 19th-Century African American History."
This course addresses the gendered dimensions of African American history during the long nineteenth century (1790s to 1910s), in order to emphasize how gender and racial ideologies were co-constitutive and constantly changing. This course focuses on the different ways ideas about gender were produced and redefined in response to the expansion of racialized chattel slavery and the solidification of racial hierarchies in the United States. Examining major events in U.S. history from the perspective of African Americans - including gradual emancipation in the U.S. North, the expansion of slavery in the U.S. South, the abolitionist movement, the American Civil War, Reconstruction, and the beginnings of Jim Crow - this course considers how the intersections of gender, race, sexuality, class, and freedom status shaped people's social experiences during these key moments. With an emphasis on engaging primary sources such as speeches, photographs, interviews, personal correspondence, newspapers, and legal testimony, this seminar will consider various dimensions of power relations in the United States during the long nineteenth century. Further, this seminar will examine how ideas about gender shaped ideas about freedom: who could be free, and what constituted freedom, and the challenges that remained.

HSTRY 388 C (T 1230-220), taught by Prof. Raymond Jonas-"The French Revolution and Its Afterlives." Note: this cannot be take concurrently with HSTEU 422, also offered in Winter 2023. (counts for Writing)
In this course we will use primary sources - texts, but also visual primary sources such as fine art and the built environment - to yield answers to new questions about the Revolution of 1789. The event that began in France in 1789 eventually transformed Europe from Madrid to Moscow, but also shook the Caribbean, Latin America, and North Africa. The Revolution's reach was more than geographic as it generated cultural, social and economic changes, too. We will draw upon recent scholarship as well as primary sources to explore together such themes as the invention of public opinion; abolition and the slave trade; the Revolution and religion; Terror and terrorism; the aftermath of the Revolution in militant politics from the Paris Commune to the Bolshevik Revolution; the status of women within a fraternal revolution; the "gay" revolution of 1789; the Revolution and the city of Paris; the Revolution in film; and the status of the Revolution today.

HSTRY 498 A (W 130-320), taught by Prof. Charity Urbanski-"Medieval Outlawas." (counts for Writing)
This course introduces undergraduate students to the transition from being consumers of history to producers of history. It will emphasize critical reading and analysis of primary and secondary literature, the theoretical and methodological problems of historical research, and involve students in doing original primary research. Its focus is on the process of historical reading, research, and writing. Our theme is medieval outlaws. While our primary sources are literary works, we will be concerned with determining what these legends and the mythology of the outlaw can tell us about social organization, values, and the limits of the legal system in medieval England. We will also address the changing legal status of the outlaw, as well as the evolution and historical context of outlaw legends.

HSTRY 498 B (Th 130-320), taught by Prof. Joel Walker-"Animals and Us in Global History: a Writer's Workshop." (counts for Writing)
This seminar is part of a national series of workshops designed to sharpen undergraduate writing for public audiences. The format involves writing short essays (750-1000 words) every other week and engaging in regular, intensive peer-critique of all paper drafts. The thematic focus this year is on cattle in global history. Why a "cow course"? Can you name another animal that has had a more profound impact on global history? This seminar invites participants to think carefully about the diverse ways that bovine meat, muscle, and milk have shaped the world we live in. During the second half of the seminar, students will have the opportunity to choose their own topics based on previous coursework and research interests.

HSTRY 498 C (T 1000-1150), taught by Prof. Christopher Tounsel-"Bible in Black History." (counts for Writing)
What roles did ancient Egypt and Sudan play in the lives of the patriarchs and prophets? How was the Book of Genesis used to sponsor transatlantic slavery? How has Scripture been deployed in the era of #BlackLivesMatter? This course surveys historical engagements that peoples of African descent have had with the Judeo-Christian Bible from antiquity to the present day. Due to the variety of histories, cultures, religions, and experiences throughout Africa and the African Diaspora, it will be impossible to cover the entire scope of Black religious and political histories with the detailed focus that each area truly deserves. However, we will cover the developments, peoples, themes, and moments that have marked the Bible's social, political, and religious histories in the Africana world.

Mark Weitzenkamp and Tracy Maschman Morrissey
History Undergraduate Advising
University of Washington
Smith Hall 315
Box 353560
Seattle, WA 98195
vm: 206.543.5691<tel:206.543.5691> fax: 206.543.9451<tel:206.543.9451>
depts.washington.edu/history<http://depts.washington.edu/history>

Please click here to schedule an advising appointment! [outlook.office365.com]<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/UWHistoryAdvising@cloud.washington.edu/bookings/__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!hepl5zsGyNtp8irH6BFU_vfzEDAVByBQeKGrA21TwwYy6eG5HGMceoCxsf_yemPn_ZqlOYzhtiOUSeGhRg$>

[follow us on social media]