[Histmaj] Washington State Legislative Internship Program (WSLIP) Information Sessions

HISTORY UNDERGRADUATE ADVISORS via Histmaj histmaj at u.washington.edu
Wed May 1 07:49:44 PDT 2024

Each January the Washington State Legislature welcomes a cohort of passionate, inquisitive, and hardworking juniors and seniors to serve as non-partisan legislative staff. This is a full-time, five-days-a-week internship lasting through the whole of Winter quarter 2025. Interns earned a stipend of $2,400 a month during the 2024 session.

The Coordinators for the Internship Program will be offering three days of information sessions for any interested students on May 8th (in person), May 9th (In person), and May 10th (Zoom).

In-Person Information Sessions in Gowen Hall, room 1A (Wednesday, May 8)
May 8th, 10:00-10:30AM
May 8th, 10:30-11:00AM
May 8th, 11:30-12:00AM
May 8th, 12:00-12:30AM
May 8th, 1:30-2:00PM
May 8th, 2:00-2:30PM
May 8th, 2:30-3:00PM
May 8th, 3:00-3:30PM

In-Person Information Sessions in Gowen Hall, room 1A (Thursday, May 9)
May 9th, 10:00-10:30AM
May 9th, 10:30-11:00AM
May 9th, 11:30-12:00AM
May 9th, 12:00-12:30AM
May 9th, 1:30-2:00PM
May 9th, 2:00-2:30PM
May 9th, 2:30-3:00PM
May 9th, 3:00-3:30PM

Zoom Information Sessions (Friday, May 10th) link: https://washington.zoom.us/j/99017054435<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/washington.zoom.us/j/99017054435__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!jv0jMWmJRuH81e9IKTsf509GHJvTOgtXYUe3qzGCqYAcWsh92WfA9zMMTln-s-q0FzHvjIS_PIWEZcTXcsyzsnbgtFdTV6cG$>
May 10th, 2:30-3:00PM
May 10th, 3:00-3:30PM

The Legislative Internship Program offers unparalleled access to Washington's most influential leaders and policy makers, professional development to build transferable skills, and hands-on simulations to learn all aspects of the legislative process. This experience will encourage you to learn quickly, think critically, and develop professionally as you forge lifelong connections in public policy.

Political experience is not necessary, and students of all majors are encouraged to apply. We welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds and political ideologies who are active leaders, engaged in campus communities, and excited to learn about government while gaining practical job skills. Whether your interest is in law, business, communications, environmental policy, public health, or elsewhere, there is a place for you as a legislative intern. Interns are matched with legislators in the State House or the Senate based on interest areas and political ideology. The program also has opportunities for interns to serve as caucus staff, focusing on policy or communications.
Visit their website<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/leg.wa.gov/Internships/Pages/default.aspx__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!jv0jMWmJRuH81e9IKTsf509GHJvTOgtXYUe3qzGCqYAcWsh92WfA9zMMTln-s-q0FzHvjIS_PIWEZcTXcsyzsnbgtODAq54l$>

UW Students who are selected are required to register for 15 cr of POL S 497 during the winter quarter.

The contact person for the Washington State Legislative Internship Program at the University of Washington-Seattle is Daniel Ayala Robles (danieloa at uw.edu). Feel free to reach out with questions, particularly about how the credit requirement is fulfilled at UW-Seattle.

Daniel Ayala Robles

Academic Adviser

Department of Political Science

Pronouns: (He/ His/ Him)

Smith Hall 215A / Seattle, WA 98195-2800

Schedule an appointment: https://uw-polisci-advising.as.me/schedule/3e3c8289<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/uw-polisci-advising.as.me/schedule/3e3c8289__;!!K-Hz7m0Vt54!jv0jMWmJRuH81e9IKTsf509GHJvTOgtXYUe3qzGCqYAcWsh92WfA9zMMTln-s-q0FzHvjIS_PIWEZcTXcsyzsnbgtAI2YILT$>

We acknowledge the Coast Salish peoples - past, present and future -

on whose traditional lands we study and work. This land touches the shared waters

of all tribes and bands within the Suquamish, Tulalip, and Muckleshoot nations.

[cid:cfabfef1-1b50-4c21-a894-9c40b9587b7d]