[Histmaj] SCAND: Special Topics for Spring

HISTORY UNDERGRADUATE ADVISORS histadv at uw.edu
Wed Mar 2 15:19:07 PST 2022

Dear students,

If you are looking for interesting options for spring quarter, SCAND is offering two special topics classes. Fliers attached.

SCAND 490 A: Literatures of the Arctic (SLN: 19723)
MW 12:30-2:20
MGH 271
Intructor: Andy Meyer
What is the Arctic? The Arctic today is home to about 4 million people. But most temperate cultures have long imagined the Arctic as a dangerous wilderness of ice and snow. In this course, we’ll study several literary representations of the Arctic, asking what is the Arctic from various perspectives, including Scandinavian and Sámi, Canadian, Inuit, and Greenlandic texts. We will examine texts that engage the complex histories and identities of Arctic peoples, both indigenous and colonialist, looking for the ideas and values that inform them. Writers and filmmakers we will study include: Fridtjof Nansen, Wanny Woldstad, Hanne Ørstavik, Nils-Aslak Valkeapää, Nils Gaup, Zacharias Kunuk, Zebedee Nungak, Tanya Tagaq, and more!
Contact meyera at uw.edu<mailto:meyera at uw.edu> for more info.

SCAND 490 B: Nordic Revolution: Contributions of the Nordic Region to Music in the U.S. and the World (SLN: 21433)
MW 2:30-4:20
MOR 225
Instructor: visiting lecturer Michael Faucette
The Nordic Region has long been the source of significant contributions to the music and popular culture of the United States and the world. This course explores the rich Nordic legacy in classical, jazz, pop, metal, disco, house, EDM,
rap, and world music.
Contact faucette at uw.edu<mailto:faucette at uw.edu> for more info.

Let me know if you have any questions.

KIM KRAFT
she/her
Assistant Teaching Professor & Adviser
UW Department of Scandinavian Studies
Raitt Hall, 305X / Seattle, WA 98195-2800
kimkraft at uw.edu<mailto:kimkraft at uw.edu>
Advising Appointment Calendar<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/u/0/selfsched?sstoken=UUVRY1JGUzQteUJFfGRlZmF1bHR8OTE5M2RiMTEwNDdmZWJmNWY3MzI5MjYyNmM5NzhjODM>

[ttp://www.washington.edu/brand/files/2014/10/e-sig.gif]