[Histmaj] SPR 22 courses: AFRAM

HISTORY UNDERGRADUATE ADVISORS histadv at uw.edu
Mon Mar 7 12:47:30 PST 2022

Hello Historians,

Check out these new courses offered from African American Studies for SPR! We would need to review the first course syllabus to check if it might count for history requirements, and the second course likely wouldn't, but they are cool courses!

AFRAM 405A: Health Disparities in Black Women<https://aes.washington.edu/courses/2022/spring/afram/405/a>
SLN: 10177
TTh 4:30pm - 6:20pm
Instructor: LaShawnDa Pittman<https://aes.washington.edu/people/lashawnda-pittman>
5 Credits I&S / DIV

This course examines how social, economic, environmental, cultural and lifestyle factors contribute to differences in morbidity and mortality in Black women compared to women from other racial and ethnic backgrounds and Black men. We will also examine social determinants of population health among Black women. Through readings, films and class discussion we will trace the history of Black women's health disparities beginning in the Jim Crow era.
________________________________

AFRAM 498A: Science, Technology, and Race/Racisms<https://aes.washington.edu/courses/2022/spring/afram/498/a>
SLN: 10178
MW 10:30am - 12:20pm
5 Credits I&S
Instructor: Oliver Rollins<https://aes.washington.edu/people/oliver-rollins>

This course concentrates on social significance of twenty-first century racial science. What does it mean to know your ethnic ancestry through genetics, and what are the consequences for understanding race/ethnicity in such a way? What are the social and ethical costs, or benefits, to investigating racial bias via brain technologies?

============================
University of Washington
American Ethnic Studies<http://aes.washington.edu/>
B-505 Padelford, Box# 354380
Phone: 206-543-5401
aes at u.washington.edu<mailto:aes at u.washington.edu>
============================
[1505778481165_PastedImage]

Shannon Vacek and Tracy Maschman Morrissey
History Undergraduate Advising
University of Washington
Smith Hall 315
Box 353560
Seattle, WA 98195
vm: 206.543.5691<tel:206.543.5691> fax: 206.543.9451<tel:206.543.9451>
depts.washington.edu/history<http://depts.washington.edu/history>

Please click here to schedule an advising appointment!<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/UWHistoryAdvising@cloud.washington.edu/bookings/>

[follow us on social media]

Here's a request from AES to let undergrads know of space in a couple AFRAM classes next quarter.

-Cameron