[Histmaj] History Course Suggestions for Spring 2022

HISTORY UNDERGRADUATE ADVISORS histadv at uw.edu
Mon Mar 14 17:51:02 PDT 2022

Dear Historians,

Its not too late to register for Spring 2022 courses! Please see the below list of suggested History courses for the upcoming quarter:

Considering adding the Jewish Studies minor? Looking to satisfy Diversity and Writing credits?
(SLN 15396) HSTAA 337 The Holocaust and American Life<https://myplan.uw.edu/course/#/courses/HSTAA337>
TTh 12:30pm - 2:20pm
Instructor: Susan Glenn

Looking to learn more about business and politics? Searching for a hybrid course?
(SLN 15400) HSTAA 345 Making Modern America: Business and Politics<https://myplan.uw.edu/course/#/courses/HSTAA345>
MWF 11:30am - 12:50pm (hybrid format: Monday/Wednesday in-person, Friday class is remote)
Instructor: Margaret O'Mara

Pursuing the History of War & Society major and/or teaching U.S. History?
(SLN 15395) HSTAA 212 The Military History of the United States From Colonial Times to the Present<https://myplan.uw.edu/course/#/courses/HSTAA212>
MW 3:30pm - 5:20pm
Instructor: Nathan Roberts

Interested in pre-law and/or teaching U.S. History?

(SLN 15404) HSTAA 351 American Constitutional History: From Colonial Times to the Present<https://myplan.uw.edu/course/#/courses/HSTAA351?states=N4Ig7gDgziBcLADrgJYDsAmB7MAJApigOYAWALsrAIwAMNAnADTJjrZgAKWUKZKWaSgCYArEIC%2BIcUA>
MW 3:30pm - 5:20pm
Instructor: Michael Reagan

Needing a History of Empire & Colonialism major course? Searching for a course to satisfy Diversity and Writing credits?

(SLN 15427) HSTCMP 221 Global Environmental History, Feast and Famine<https://myplan.uw.edu/course/#/courses/HSTCMP221>
MW 10:30am - 12:20pm and Friday quiz/discussion sections
Instructor: Purnima Dhavan

Working on pre-modern History credits? Want a morning course for your schedule?
(SLN 21539) HSTAM 203 Medieval and Early Modern People<https://myplan.uw.edu/course/#/courses/HSTAM203?states=N4Ig7gDgziBcLADrgJYDsAmB7MAJApigOYAWALsrAIwAMdANMmOtmAApZQpkpZqUAmABwB2AL4gxQA>
MW 8:30am - 10:20am
Instructor: Tyler Lange

Please see below for course descriptions. Thank you!

Shannon Vacek and Tracy Maschman Morrissey
History Undergraduate Advising
University of Washington
Smith Hall 315
Box 353560
Seattle, WA 98195
vm: 206.543.5691<tel:206.543.5691> fax: 206.543.9451<tel:206.543.9451>
depts.washington.edu/history<http://depts.washington.edu/history>

Please click here to schedule an advising appointment<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/UWHistoryAdvising@cloud.washington.edu/bookings/>

[follow us on social media]

(SLN 15396) HSTAA 337 The Holocaust and American Life
In most accounts, "the Holocaust" is told as a European story, but it was also transatlantic. This course incorporates film, literature, journalism, social scientific writing, diaries, court cases, and other primary sources to examine how events in Europe affected and were affected by developments in United States history.

(SLN 15400) HSTAA 345 Making Modern America: Business and Politics
How as the past century of American history shaped the political and economic landscape of the early twenty-first century? What is the broader context and historical backstory of contemporary political and social movements, business practices, and global flows of people, capital, and ideas? How can we use historical knowledge and the tools of historical analysis to better understand and address present-day challenges? With these questions in mind, this course explores key moments and people in the history of the United States from the end of World War I to the present.

(SLN 15395) HSTAA 212 The Military History of the United States From Colonial Times to the Present
In this course we will examine the development of American military policies, organizational patterns, tactics, and weaponry, from beginnings as a seventeenth-century frontier defense force to the global conflicts and military commitments of the twentieth century. We will also explore the interaction and tension between the need for an effective military force and the concept of civilian control of that force.

(SLN 15404) HSTAA 351 American Constitutional History: From Colonial Times to the Present
Constitutional history is broad, complex, and ever changing. Far from being a static document or set of principles, the history of constitutional law is as contingent and subject to the forces of change as any other topic.This course will provide an introduction to that history with an emphasis on the social forces that have brought about dramatic transitions, even revolutionary ones, in constitutional interpretation and practice. Case law and significant trials will provide our starting point, but we will also move beyond the Supreme Court to think about the relationship of law to society. As such we will look at the history of US jurisprudence, politics, intellectual and economic history, and explore the law through the experiences of workers, women, indigenous peoples, the enslaved, and other voices that set the terms and conditions in which constitutional law was made.

(SLN 15427) HSTCMP 221 Global Environmental History, Feast and Famine
Within this course we will examine how consumption in societies such as China, India, Japan, Africa, Europe, and the Americas developed between 1500 and the present. The goal is familiarity with the broad patterns of global history and how they fit into debates about environmental history.

(SLN 21539) Medieval and Early Modern People
This course, stretching the catalogue description somewhat from the medieval to include the early modern period, introduces you to the people of pre-modern European history. Political history, battles, kings, queens, parliaments, and so on are not the subject. The subject is "ordinary" - and extraordinary - people, understood as an aggregate structurally and quantitatively and, sometimes, when sources and a bit of informed imagination permit, as individuals. How did they live? How did they die? How did they eat? How did they reproduce? What did they do when they weren't working? How did they think about all this?
The basis for the course is Eileen Power's 1924 book, Mediaeval People, a path-breaking work by a pioneering female historian. This will be supplemented by Arthur Imhof's Lost Worlds: How Our European Ancestors Coped with Everyday Life and Why Life Is So Hard Today. Chapters from Power will structure most weeks, exploding the presentist attitude of much historical scholarship ('If it's not recent, it's useless...'). Each week will include additional primary sources (historical witnesses) and complementary secondary sources (scholarly articles or chapters).